Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Thank You from a Scholarship winner!

I am pleased to share the following letter that we received from one of our FY16 scholarship winners.  Thanks to SWE-D members for supporting the scholarship program! - Lisa Purvis, Scholarship Chair

" Lisa & SWE-D,

               I'm writing to thank you for the EXTREMELY generous $2600 scholarship and collegiate membership, and for welcoming me to the awards banquet.

               The week before Thanksgiving of the 2008 recession, I vividly remember sitting next to my mom in her car as she told me she had just been laid off from her job.  All of my previous college savings were then wiped out.  Every dollar earned was immediately lost again to cover the most basic living expenses, and it took years of financial strain to begin thinking about saving again.  As an attendee of public schools for my entire life, the financial burden of attending college will be an incredibly costly change for my family.  Receiving this scholarship has kickstarted my journey towards financial security, which will allow me to focus on doing well academically.

               Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness and generosity.  I'm so excited to begin my freshman year as a SWE member with a plethora of amazing women behind me...

Best,
Hana "


No comments:

Post a Comment